History Community ~ All Empires Homepage


This is the Archive on WORLD Historia, the old original forum.

 You cannot post here - you can only read.

 

Here is the link to the new forum:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhy Latinos love Speedy Gonzales?

 Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Why Latinos love Speedy
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [28.57%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [42.86%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
pinguin View Drop Down
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
Avatar

Joined: 29-Sep-2006
Location: Chile
Status: Offline
Points: 7508
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Latinos love Speedy Gonzales?
    Posted: 24-May-2007 at 22:24

We, Hispanics (or Latinos), love Speedy Gonzalez, the fastest mouse in Mexico.

Without doubt, Speedy was invented by a "gringo" artists to make fun of Mexicans and, by extension, of all hispanics. However, somehow the joke backfired. For some mysterious reason (for outsiders) we love the mouse!! all over Latin America and the U.S.

Not long ago, the TV networks tried to put down Speedy from TV because they considered the cartoon to be racists (that is indeed). However, the Hispanics reacted with anger to the idea someone could kill theirs favorite mouse LOL
 
 
Why we love him if it seems a racial stereotype? I have my theory and I hope others hispanics agree (a hard bet). Now I invite you to tell us what do you believe is the reason behind our fascination with Speedy. The following would show some lights.
 
 
Adiós, Speedy. Not So Fast

LULAC Goes Looney Tunes


Adiós, Speedy. Not So Fast

By TOM KUNTZ

April 7, 2002
Copyright © 2002
THE NEW YORK TIMES. All Rights Reserved.

AY caramba! The Cartoon Network just can't seem to stay out of the line of fire in the culture wars. Last year it angered Bugs Bunny purists by omitting racially insensitive cartoons from what would have been a complete marathon broadcast of the Wascally Wabbit's oeuvre.

Now it's Speedy Gonzales fans who are hot as jalapeños – over the plucky Mexican mouse's virtual absence from the cable network's broadcasts. In an interesting twist, Hispanics are among those leading the criticism. The Web site HispanicOnline.com, specializing in Latino news and entertainment, has posted articles taking the network to task for what many see as a cave-in to political correctness; the site also offers a link to a bring-back-the-mouse petition drive.

But the Cartoon Network says P.C. isn't the overarching reason the Looney Tunes star is scarce on the channel (not banned, it insists); rather, Speedy shorts don't make the rotation because they simply aren't a ratings winner among the channel's vast archive of more than 8,500 cartoons.

Laurie Goldberg, a network spokeswoman, conceded, however, that part of the audience appeal problem is the toons' negative stereotypes – like Speedy's lazy cousin, Slowpoke Rodriguez – and their depictions of drinking and smoking, clear parent turnoffs.

Yet many Hispanics view Speedy as a positive ethnic reflection because he always outsmarts the "greengo" cat Sylvester, says Virginia Cueto, associate editor of the Florida-based HispanicOnline, who has been covering the issue for the English-language site.

Noting that Cartoon Network International still shows Speedy regularly in Latin American nations, Ms. Cueto said the network's main concern in the United States "seems to be what non-Latinos would get from watching these cartoons," as if Hispanic preferences here don't matter.

And so people are peeved. Here are excerpts from the overwhelmingly pro-Speedy (and mostly anonymous) postings on HispanicOnline:

THIS is an Outrage!!! Viva la Mouse! Viva Speedy Gonzales!

Come on! What is America coming to? . . . I guess they'll censor "West Side Story" because they've offended us Puerto Ricans in Nueva York. Get a grip! . . . I say bring Speedy back and let those censored idiots eat frijoles!!

Demeaning? Pleeeease, we need to get over the stupid P.C. [expletive]. I am of Mexican parents and I have much better things to do than worry about Speedy G, unless of course he was in my house – then I would get Señor Sylvester to take care of him.

The problem I have with this is that they are basically saying they know better than Hispanics do and telling them they should be offended by Speedy when in fact most are not.

That little mouse is a hero. . . . How about banning Pepe LePew, for stinking and being French, or Boris and Natasha, for being Russian, or . . . Rocky the Flying Squirrel for not being P.C. to squirrels.

What deee hell is all the rucus about. The leeettle mouse is one of the foniest mouses in all of Mejico. I have enjoyed the leeettle mouse and Slooowpoke for many yeeers. Now, weeee have Pokemon and his amigos. Weee need to bring back Speedy! . . .

I am 30 years old and have found myself saying, "Arriba, Arriba, Olé, Olé" many times throughout my life. The little guy is in me. I have a small stuffed version of him in the back window of my car as I fly through the Houston highways! . . .

I am shocked that this little guy is being questioned over all the other stuff on TV. Give him a break. He's a good, happy, zippy little guy that doesn't beat anyone up, and doesn't have to save the day. He just IS!

If you ask me, the cartoons depict "gringo" society (those crafty American cats . . .) as a not-too-bright, conniving species that exploits anyone who happens to be handy. The Mexican mice are always content in their own pueblos, doing their own thing, and here come the gringos into Mexican turf, interfering and looking out for their own interests. And Speedy always wins! So who is being depicted negatively here?

Program note: The Cartoon Network says Speedy Gonzales can be seen on the channel in May, in "Daffy Duck's Fantasy Island." It says it is considering broadcasting Speedy cartoons late at night or on its sister Boomerang channel, which features classic cartoons.


LULAC Goes Looney Tunes

Should Speedy be brought back from cartoon exile?

By Al Carlos Hernandez

April 6, 2002
Copyright © 2002
THE NEW YORK TIMES. All Rights Reserved.

In an act of unconscionable imbecility, LULAC --the League of United Latin American Citizens -- the US’ oldest Hispanic American rights group, and Hispanic Online, a Florida-based haven for closet Latinos, have publicly advocated and petitioned for bringing back racist cartoon Speedy Gonzales to the Cartoon Network after a two year absence.

"To many people, he was a hero," said Virginia Cueto of Hispanic Online, which launched a campaign to revive the Mexican mouse. "He is seen by many Hispanics as a positive role model. This guy is a winner! He is always outsmarting his main nemesis Sylvester the cat – or as Speedy’s non-Latino creator terms it, the GREEEEN-GO Pussygato."

Maybe to Hispanics he is a hero but to Latinos, he is an abomination.

Apparently, in Ms. Cueto’s attempt to be cute, she does not actualize that cats and mice cannot really talk and if they did they would not be stupid enough to continue to insult the potentially strongest minority group in the country. Since they cannot read either, the latest census probably passed over their heads, too.

Big up, however, to the Cartoon Network (CN) spokesperson Laurie Goldberg, who said that the network has no current plans to air Speedy. "We never ‘pulled’ the Speedy cartoons, we just haven’t aired a lot of them, " she said, citing not only the networks concern over inappropriate or offensive stereotypes, but an additional consideration -- a given programs ratings. The 40 Speedy cartoons in Cartoon Network's collection have traditionally garnered low ratings. They are a part of an 810-cartoon library, which runs in rotation.

In the real world -- not toon town -- they do not run Speedy cartoons because it has terrible ratings, but because the majority of people -- including cartoonists with half a brain -- know that the Speedy Gonzalez cartoons are blatantly offensive, so normal people stopped watching them.

So in comes LULAC to the rescue.

"¡Viva Speedy!" LULAC director of policy and legislation Gabriela Lemus said. "Give the mouse a chance. I have never heard of any Mexican-American complain about him. I grew up in Mexico, I watched it with my grandmother and we weren’t offended. How far do you push political correctness before you can’t say anything about anything anymore?"

Profound political rhetoric indeed. In other words, to quote another cartoon icon, Quick Draw McGraw to his much maligned Latino sidekick, the accented donkey Baba Louie, "I’ll do the thinin' around here, Baba-Louie, and don’t you forget it!"

I guess it's comments like that which makes LULAC the political powerhouse for strong national Latino policy and legislative leadership that it is. I am hoping that bringing back poorly-rated racist cartoons is not high on the list of its national agenda.

Maybe Ms. Lemus can host a "Dress Up Like Your Favorite Hispanic Stereotype Character Dinner Dance" at the next national convention in June. Executive members could come dressed as Speedy Gonzalez, Bucky & Pepito (similar lazy Mexican-exiled cartooners), The Frito Bandito, or the recently-furloughed Taco Bell Rat-Dog. Maybe Hispanic Online could even webcast it!

As an industry insider, I would like to inform advocates that cartoon animals are only inventions of artistic and oftentimes drunk people, in this case, non-Latinos from several decades ago who consider Latinos second class citizens.

Speedy was a mistake.

Any time a character is given an ethnic accent only for comedic value, this trivializes and diminishes that person and culture. This is done in an effort to make the dominant culture -- those inspired to laugh --feel superior. This type of subliminal institutional racism viscerally affects our children and degrades Latinos as people of honor and respect.

Although self-congratulatory publicity-seeking cartoon advocates such as Cueto and Lemus bemoan the fact that their favorite rodent has been sent to broadcast limbo, they ought to consider that most cartoon viewers are children and well-known musicians.

Los Angeles psychologist Robert Butterworth, (and no, his mom is not the Mrs. Butterworth, the maple syrup bottle lady) says, "These stereotypes are ingrained when we’re young. and what do kids watch? Cartoons. I know that adults are saying 'Oh God, it’s just Speedy Gonzalez’ but these are impressions that are put in very early and hard to pull out. I’m the last person to hold for political correctness, but kids absorb this thing on a preconscious level."

Lemus of LULAC says, "Speedy points out to his friends the good parts of being motivated and always beats the bad guy."

Isn’t that what LULAC is supposed to do?

Speedy boosters or "Speedy freaks" as I call them, shouldn’t expect to see their rodent hero back anytime soon, at least not in the United States. Speedy will appear in reruns of a full-length Warner Brothers movie "Fantastic Island" later this month, however, where he will play "Tattoo", the vertically challenged side kick of Mr. Rourke.

But I’m not even going there.



Edited by pinguin - 24-May-2007 at 22:33
Back to Top
hugoestr View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard
Avatar

Joined: 13-Aug-2004
Status: Offline
Points: 4003
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 09:29
Hey, he is a Mexican hero. What is not to like? I also like the Taco Bell dog, and so do all of my relatives. I am not familiar with the other two characters.

Speedy is a beloved character in Mexico. They even had a Mexican comedian making a copyright infringement live action movie based on the story. In it, speedy gets his speed from eating hot peppers.

And while Carlos Hernandez frets about Speedy, true horrible stereotyping is going on in the illegal immigration debate. So instead of focusing on a cartoon that depicts a victorious Mexican out-smarting gringo imperialism, he should focus on the immigration debate, he true racist challenge of the time for people of Latin American ancestry.



To judge the fatherless and the oppressed, that the man of the earth may no more oppress.


Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
Avatar

Joined: 29-Sep-2006
Location: Chile
Status: Offline
Points: 7508
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 11:32

All Latinos are with your people, brother. Sooner of later things are going to change. Latinos are rising economically, little by litlle. You'll see.

Pinguin
Back to Top
tommy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron


Joined: 13-Sep-2005
Location: Hong Kong
Status: Offline
Points: 433
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 04:12
There is a Kung Fu panda to the cinema, at first, the panda was lazy, but when the tiger invaded, he learned Kung Fu to protect the forest, Chinese may not happy to describe panda(represents Chinese)? as lazy, but i think we still love him.
leung
Back to Top
chessrook1 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard


Joined: 28-Dec-2004
Status: Offline
Points: 28
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chessrook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 06:45
When you say "Latinos", you Mexicans right? Well I use to know many Mexican-Americans (both AmerIndian Mexican and European Mexicans), mix-Italian-Mexican Americans, and mix-Irish-Mexican Americans. The Mexican-Americans here don't find him offensive. He's playing the good guy always helping out his poorer mice bretheren and outsmarting the Gringo cat. The girls think he's cute. Wink

Speedy Gonzalaz outsmarts Sylvester @ Acme Chesse factory


Edited by chessrook1 - 27-May-2007 at 06:49
Back to Top
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard
Avatar
Lord of Hut River Province Principality

Joined: 01-May-2005
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 5711
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 07:00
Maybe because it is the first time in a Mexican vs an American, it is the Mexican who is clever and quick - instead of being dirty and lazy and not being imbued with that whole "Good Guy" ethos which the Yankies have in cowboy movies.

By the way, do Mexicans really appreciate being stereotyped through a hyperactive mouse?
It is not the challenges a people face which define who they are, but rather the way in which they respond to those challenges.

Back to Top
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard
Avatar
Court Jester

Joined: 01-Nov-2005
Location: Germany
Status: Offline
Points: 3666
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 07:35
And the telletubies are four gays that penetrate a rolling hoover as a rebellion against the british consevative establishment.

Back to Top
chessrook1 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard


Joined: 28-Dec-2004
Status: Offline
Points: 28
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chessrook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 07:50
Originally posted by Constantine XI Constantine XI wrote:

Maybe because it is the first time in a Mexican vs an American, it is the Mexican who is clever and quick - instead of being dirty and lazy and not being imbued with that whole "Good Guy" ethos which the Yankies have in cowboy movies.

By the way, do Mexicans really appreciate being stereotyped through a hyperactive mouse?


Well, I can't speak for all of Mexicans, but the Mexican Americans I do know aren't offended by the Speedy Gonzales character. They think he's amusing. The girls think he's cute. I think there was an uproar awhile back among younger Mexican Americans when Warner Brothers decided never to show any revival of the character Speedy Gonzales in new cartoon series.


Edited by chessrook1 - 27-May-2007 at 07:54
Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
Avatar

Joined: 29-Sep-2006
Location: Chile
Status: Offline
Points: 7508
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 11:08
Originally posted by Constantine XI Constantine XI wrote:

Maybe because it is the first time in a Mexican vs an American, it is the Mexican who is clever and quick - instead of being dirty and lazy and not being imbued with that whole "Good Guy" ethos which the Yankies have in cowboy movies.

By the way, do Mexicans really appreciate being stereotyped through a hyperactive mouse?
 
I believe the reason is clear. Speedy represents somehow Pancho Villa, the only "mouse" in Mexico strong enough to fight back the Americans, quick and fast.
 
But there is even another hidden stereotype on the show more atractive for Latinos in general: Sylvester. Sylvester represents American Imperialism and supremacy attitudes. So, the show somehow tell the story of the throublesome relation of Latin Americans with the United States. And Sylvester represent the failure of the discrimination.
 
Seeing the show many things are obvious. The fence about the Ajax cheese warehouse represent the frontier between Mexico and the U.S.. The cheese itself represent the richess that Americans have and Mexicans (latinos in general) lack. So, the show tell many things.
 
Mexicans and Latinos read it well.
 
Pinguin
 
 
 
 
 
Back to Top
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Avatar
retired AE Moderator

Joined: 11-Aug-2004
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 8795
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 11:53
My surname sounds similar to Gonzales, so, very originally, one of my nicknames at school was Speedy Gonzales.
Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
Avatar

Joined: 29-Sep-2006
Location: Chile
Status: Offline
Points: 7508
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 12:09
Are you called "Gonzalo"?
 
Is so, you should know that the Spanish ending "ez" in last names like Martinez, Ramirez, Gutierrez and Gonzalez, is equivanlent to the ending "son" in English and nordic last names. So, if a father is called Martin, in english the last name would be "Martinson" and in Spanish "Martinez"
 
And Gonzalez means "the son of Gonzalo". And it is a quite common name in Latin America, perhaps the most common of all.
 
Pinguin
 
 
 
Back to Top
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Avatar
retired AE Moderator

Joined: 11-Aug-2004
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 8795
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 12:43
heh, yes I was aware of that but let me correct, my name sounds similar to Gonzalez according to anglophonic children!
Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
Avatar

Joined: 29-Sep-2006
Location: Chile
Status: Offline
Points: 7508
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 12:50
I wonder what it is Big%20smile
Back to Top
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Avatar

Joined: 03-Aug-2004
Location: Italy
Status: Offline
Points: 488
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 14:33
I guess the problem is for non-Latinos who are p...ed up to see that Mexican Mouse always win.
PC  towards poor gringos would require that, sometimes, it was Silvester the one to win Wink
Back to Top
red clay View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Tomato Master Emeritus

Joined: 14-Jan-2006
Status: Offline
Points: 2963
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 22:23
I agree with Hugo.  What's not to like?  He's up, confident and a little cocky.  He's smooth with the ladies, smart and always one step ahead.
Back to Top
hugoestr View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard
Avatar

Joined: 13-Aug-2004
Status: Offline
Points: 4003
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 23:06
Originally posted by pinguin pinguin wrote:

Originally posted by Constantine XI Constantine XI wrote:

Maybe because it is the first time in a Mexican vs an American, it is the Mexican who is clever and quick - instead of being dirty and lazy and not being imbued with that whole "Good Guy" ethos which the Yankies have in cowboy movies.By the way, do Mexicans really appreciate being stereotyped through a hyperactive mouse?


I believe the reason is clear. Speedy represents somehow Pancho Villa, the only "mouse" in Mexico strong enough to fight back the Americans, quick and fast.


But there is even another hidden stereotype on the show more atractive for Latinos in general: Sylvester. Sylvester represents American Imperialism and supremacy attitudes. So, the show somehow tell the story of the throublesome relation of Latin Americans with the United States. And Sylvester represent the failure of the discrimination.


Seeing the show many things are obvious. The fence about the Ajax cheese warehouse represent the frontier between Mexico and the U.S.. The cheese itself represent the richess that Americans have and Mexicans (latinos in general) lack. So, the show tell many things.


Mexicans and Latinos read it well.


Pinguin







Ah, so you are really Ariel Dorfman! Let me tell you that I am married in part because of your book, "How to read Donald Duck." Are you working now on a book on the loony toones?
To judge the fatherless and the oppressed, that the man of the earth may no more oppress.


Back to Top
Mixcoatl View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard
Avatar

Joined: 02-Aug-2004
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Points: 4581
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mixcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 23:40
Originally posted by hugoestr hugoestr wrote:

Let me tell you that I am married in part because of your book, "How to read Donald Duck."

Really? Could you elaborate?
"Some argue that atheism partly stems from a failure to fairly and judiciously consider the facts"
"Atheists deny the existence of Satan, while simultaneously doing his work."

- Conservapedia
Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
Avatar

Joined: 29-Sep-2006
Location: Chile
Status: Offline
Points: 7508
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 23:49
Originally posted by hugoestr hugoestr wrote:

...
Ah, so you are really Ariel Dorfman! Let me tell you that I am married in part because of your book, "How to read Donald Duck." Are you working now on a book on the loony toones?
 
Well, I am Chilean as Ariel Dorfman LOLLOL
 
You know Chile is a land of Poets (Neruda, Mistral) and people with lot of imagination (Isabel Allende), and of course Ariel Dorfman!
 
So, I couldn't stop but analizing the deep semantic meaning of the Cartoon Speedy Gonzalez. Really a sociological masterpiece.
 
It is nothing less that the struggle of Latin America against the huge Gringo Cat Big%20smileBig%20smile. Don't forget that a Mexican dictator once said "Poor Mexico, so far from God and ..... so close to the United States" LOL
 
Bueno compañero, despues seguimos.
 
Un abrazo (a hug)
 
Omar Vega, allias pinguin (because penguins are "cool" LOL)
 
 


Edited by pinguin - 27-May-2007 at 23:50
Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
Avatar

Joined: 29-Sep-2006
Location: Chile
Status: Offline
Points: 7508
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2007 at 12:52
No more interest in Speedy Gonzales and Latinos :)
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.074 seconds.