History Community ~ All Empires Homepage


This is the Archive on WORLD Historia, the old original forum.

 You cannot post here - you can only read.

 

Here is the link to the new forum:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat is the Purpose of Life

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Daner View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary
Avatar

Joined: 19-Feb-2008
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 0
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the Purpose of Life
    Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 03:03
Going DEEP here, lol. What do you think the purpose of life is? Personally, I think that now we have evolved into a very advanced society with constant changing, our purpose is to serve a future generation, making new technological advances, and providing services for younger generations.

Yikes.
"Valour is superior to numbers."-Vegetius
Back to Top
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Avatar
Imperial Ambassador

Joined: 06-May-2006
Location: Poland
Status: Offline
Points: 1143
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 07:52
I wouldn't agree with You though I admire Your responsibility for future generationsWink.
For me the sense of life is to be happy, to do what I like, also to help my friends.
I think friend are most important in people's life. Nevertheless I'm still thinking about it and I'm not sure.
Back to Top
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Avatar
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Joined: 03-Aug-2004
Status: Offline
Points: 2424
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 08:50
Quote What do you think the purpose of life is?


Personally I believe that the purpose of living is to prepare ourselves for the afterlife, we are to work here to grow into the people we are to become once we die.

A simple answer but not such a simple concept.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Back to Top
es_bih View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard
Avatar
Beglerbeg

Joined: 20-Dec-2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 3426
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote es_bih Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 10:30
Originally posted by JanusRook JanusRook wrote:

Quote What do you think the purpose of life is?


Personally I believe that the purpose of living is to prepare ourselves for the afterlife, we are to work here to grow into the people we are to become once we die.

A simple answer but not such a simple concept.


“This life is but a tillage for the next, do good that you may reap there; for striving is the ordinance of God and whatever God hath ordained can only be attained by striving”

 Muhammad quote


To add to Janus' post.



It is a hard concept definetly to grasp, and I'm sure Janus will elaborate on it as well in the thread.




Back to Top
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel


Joined: 23-Jun-2007
Location: Ma vlast
Status: Offline
Points: 526
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 14:11
purpose of life? - to make the world a better place, to help friends, to be happy and to live your life(no matter how hard it is)
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Back to Top
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Avatar

Joined: 02-Jun-2006
Location: Romania
Status: Offline
Points: 1116
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 23:48
Originally posted by Daner Daner wrote:

Going DEEP here, lol. What do you think the purpose of life is? Personally, I think that now we have evolved into a very advanced society with constant changing, our purpose is to serve a future generation, making new technological advances, and providing services for younger generations.
Yikes.



If you say that there is a purpose, you accept there is someone who planned the things.


The purpose of life is the happiness and eternity.

Back to Top
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Avatar

Joined: 10-Jul-2007
Status: Offline
Points: 644
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2008 at 05:49
One thing I realized and Alan Greenspan confirmed on the Today Show with Jon Stewart: No matter how educated humans get, how intelligent they become, how much technology they have access to, humans will be humans.
 
Humans will get scared, get angry, humans will subjugate and then be subjugated, humans will kill and ask for mercy when they are in turn to be killed. Humans have brains, but they also have emotions. They have ideas but also worries and fears.
 
Once I realized how fragile humans were, I just gave up my agnosticism and embraced religion. Allahu Alim.
 
I took a spin with the whole "we are here to enjoy life" but found it such a dreary and futile concept. For one, many people in the world are unable to enjoy life. They live through times of war and mayhem, and its not fair their life sucks and others have less sucky lives. Anyhow, happiness, like sadness, are fleeting feelings that you "deal" with until new conditions arrive (granted happiness is *easiest* to deal with). Its a state of being, and to say the purpose of life is to be "happy" consistently is to say you want to achieve some sort of Buddhist enlightenment or want to be in a state of high until death.
And even with being drugged (chemical changes in body making you feel elated) the body will get used to the current high, and you need more drugs to reach an even higher state of high, until your drugged out body is ditched 6 ft under.
 
Secondly, I noticed money doesnt buy happiness, but goods. In fact money is a currency for exchanging goods, not emotions and feelings. You may be emotive after purchasing a new toy or game, but its not exactly a feeling that stays.
 
Lastly, I didnt want to die. Because that meant end of feeling, and I wouldnt truly know how things turned out.


Edited by Mughaal - 24-Feb-2008 at 05:55
Back to Top
Northman View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Avatar
~ Scylding ~

Joined: 30-Aug-2004
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Points: 4433
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2008 at 16:12

There is no purpose in life itself. We are not born with a preset mission or purpose, but because of a coincidence and on borrowed time.
We will return to the same state when we die as before birth. That's the concept of nature that can be observed through history and also what we can observe every day in the present, as long as we are able to observe anything.

If we change the question slightly and ask "What is the purpose of YOUR life" instead, the answer will change dramatically.
As we grow up, we have the possibility and are able to shape our existance into one or more missions or purposes. To set the goals we will pursue.
It's possible, or even likely, that others will do that for us. Specially, if we are too weak or too heavily influenced by the environment where we are brought up as kids.

This is something you really need to think about, and one of your most important missions if you plan to have kids.
Will you raise them to become "clones" of you, to believe what you do and think the same way as you do - or will you raise and educate them to be able to form their own identity and make up their own minds, when they are ready?

~ Northman

Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
Avatar

Joined: 29-Sep-2006
Location: Chile
Status: Offline
Points: 7508
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2008 at 16:23
The purpose of live is simply survive.
 
Life is a game against death. During a short period we have the opportunity to defeat death by simply living and having children, then death wins back again.
 
Every living thing in the planet, humans, animals, plants and even societies, are just fighting for survival and expansion (that is another form of survival).
 
With our life we are just minor soldiers in the ethernal battle of life against death.
 


Edited by pinguin - 24-Feb-2008 at 16:24
"He who attempts to count the stars, not even knowing how to count the knots of the 'quipus'(counting string), ought to be held in derision."

Inca Pachacutec (1438-1471)
Back to Top
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Avatar
Really Hot Stuff

Joined: 11-Jan-2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 2975
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2008 at 16:43
Originally posted by pinguin pinguin wrote:

The purpose of live is simply survive.


 

Life is a game against death. During a short period we have the opportunity to defeat death by simply living and having children, then death wins back again.

 

Every living thing in the planet, humans, animals, plants and even societies, are just fighting for survival and expansion (that is another form of survival).

 

With our life we are just minor soldiers in the ethernal battle of life against death.

 

This reminds me of Roman Catholic doctrine because according to the Church, Jesus in the end defeats death. Therefore death can never win.
Back to Top
Spartakus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard
Avatar
terörist

Joined: 22-Nov-2004
Location: Greece/Hellas
Status: Offline
Points: 4496
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2008 at 19:16
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon Ponce de Leon wrote:


This reminds me of Roman Catholic doctrine because according to the Church, Jesus in the end defeats death. Therefore death can never win.


It is not solely Catholic, but a general Christian thesis.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Back to Top
Paul View Drop Down
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
Avatar
AE Immoderator

Joined: 21-Aug-2004
Location: Hyperborea
Status: Offline
Points: 965
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2008 at 20:50
To break all the commandments and all the deadly sins, before you die.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
Avatar

Joined: 29-Sep-2006
Location: Chile
Status: Offline
Points: 7508
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2008 at 21:01
Originally posted by Spartakus Spartakus wrote:

Originally posted by Ponce de Leon Ponce de Leon wrote:


This reminds me of Roman Catholic doctrine because according to the Church, Jesus in the end defeats death. Therefore death can never win.


It is not solely Catholic, but a general Christian thesis.
 
Well, I have a Catholic formation and I admire Pierre Theilhard de Chardin.... So I bet I got those ideas from them.
 
But, anyways, the important point is that we can see life in function of its conflict with death, without recalling supernatural beings or gods. Just in naturalistic terms.
"He who attempts to count the stars, not even knowing how to count the knots of the 'quipus'(counting string), ought to be held in derision."

Inca Pachacutec (1438-1471)
Back to Top
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Avatar
King of Númenor

Joined: 11-Nov-2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1405
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2008 at 21:59
The question I've pondered since I was able to conciously think...  Being a religiously minded individual, the answer Janus and es_bih give always comes to mind; live a christian life (or muslim, etc. depending on ones religious convictions)/to prepare for the next life.  Though I'm still not 100% sure/undecided I am.  It could be to understand oneself, to understand nature.   Honestly I do not know.  So basically this was a waste of a post.LOL
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Back to Top
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Avatar
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Joined: 03-Aug-2004
Status: Offline
Points: 2424
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2008 at 05:25
Quote
Being a religiously minded individual, the answer Janus and es_bih give always comes to mind; live a christian life (or muslim, etc. depending on ones religious convictions)/to prepare for the next life.


Just remember that preparing for death doesn't mean preparing for the end. Remember death is but the continuation of life through other means.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Back to Top
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Avatar

Joined: 10-Jul-2007
Status: Offline
Points: 644
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2008 at 05:47
All of you are wrong, and I am right.
 
Boo Yah.
Back to Top
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Avatar
Really Hot Stuff

Joined: 11-Jan-2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 2975
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2008 at 06:24
Originally posted by Mughaal Mughaal wrote:

All of you are wrong, and I am right.
 

Boo Yah.

Right as in stating the fact that the only reason to live is to enjoy the best feeling of the world which is having a great sit-in at the toilet?
Back to Top
Lmprs View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard


Joined: 30-Dec-2005
Status: Offline
Points: 1872
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2008 at 06:44
The purpose of life is, obviously, whatever you think it is.
Back to Top
Northman View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Avatar
~ Scylding ~

Joined: 30-Aug-2004
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Points: 4433
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2008 at 11:39
Originally posted by Justinian Justinian wrote:

Being a religiously minded individual, the answer Janus and es_bih give always comes to mind; live a christian life (or muslim, etc. depending on ones religious convictions)/to prepare for the next life.

Originally posted by JanusRook JanusRook wrote:

Just remember that preparing for death doesn't mean preparing for the end. Remember death is but the continuation of life through other means.
 
But since religion is faith (as opposed to evidence), wouldn't that be similar to working your whole life and not expecting the paycheck until you possibly cannot recieve it?
If I claimed that I would end up in Valhalla, would either of you think that was possible?
(The questions are only rhetorical - answers not necessary)
 
Asking the questions, I also realise the possiblilty that there could be an afterlife.
But what are the demands asked from us to enter the afterlife?
Can anyone, living an average life in a modern world, qualify for an afterlife if we take the words of Jesus literally?
In my opinion, the conditions to qualify are not compatible with modern life, living standards or way of thinking. Isn't it an illusion when we think, that conveniently adapting the demands to modern life is a valid interpretation? 
 
So in my perspective, by all standards, there is no paycheck to be expected and thus, the purpose of my life cannot be to prepare for a possible afterlife. Thats why I decided long ago to look at this life as a gift, recieve it with grattitude and live it to its fullest.

However, in making a purpose of trying to meet and treasuring the directions and values given by Jesus, our lives becomes richer, and that way we get a reward in this life.
Also, living this life to the fullest, makes the personal need for an afterlife less obvious.

Anyways, we can certainly hope I'm wrong, and that you will recieve the paycheck. Smile
 
Faith and hope - not too bad concepts afterall.
 
~ Northman
 


Edited by Northman - 25-Feb-2008 at 11:45
Back to Top
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Avatar

Joined: 09-Nov-2005
Location: Romania
Status: Offline
Points: 1211
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2008 at 14:55
I think, like Northman, that life is a simple natural process that has no purpose.
The fact that after evolving humans have become so complex that they generated concepts like purpose, reason, etc. doesn't necessary mean that those concepts are significant outside the human world, both physical and spiritual.
The very concept of afterlife is quite unnatural, in my opinion. What about a beforelife? In a way we are eternal since death isn't the end of our constituents.
To me the purpose of my life is to enjoy living and act so that others will appreciate what I do.
 
*that perpetual state of bliss of those in heaven; boooooooooooring! what kind of hope is this?
 
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.172 seconds.