History Community ~ All Empires Homepage


This is the Archive on WORLD Historia, the old original forum.

 You cannot post here - you can only read.

 

Here is the link to the new forum:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe roots of Thailand's sex industry

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Avatar

Joined: 08-May-2005
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Points: 1942
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The roots of Thailand's sex industry
    Posted: 13-May-2009 at 11:25
Thailand's thriving sex industry is often a topic of some contemporary interest, for reasons intellectual as well as carnal, but what made Thailand into the sex paradise it is today?

Several explanations have been put forward. One holds that the large number of American soldiers who passed through Thailand during the Vietnam war, combined with Thailand's large number of poor country girls, resulted in widespread prostitution and established an exploitative pattern for the lower classes of Thai society.

Others would rather point to far deeper roots, suggesting that prostitution has been inseparably intertwined with Thai culture for centuries. In turn this has produced a society that is uniquely tolerant of prostitutes, and although these women still carry a social stigma it is in no way comparable to that in most other societies. For example, the treshold for selling one's children to brothels is comparatively low, and only the most conservative would think twice about marrying a former prostitute.

Regardless of which explanation is closest to the truth, if one considers the increasingly globalized nature of the world economy, was it perhaps unavoidable that Thailand would end up as the sex capital of the modern world, and will it continue to be so in the foreseeable future?



Hwæt! wē Gār-Dena in geār-dagum,
þeod-cyninga, þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
Back to Top
Parnell View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Avatar

Joined: 04-Apr-2007
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 1367
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 15:31
I'm not sure if prostitution is more acceptable in Thailand than anywere else. Could we say the same about Eastern Europeans nowadays? Go on to any Irish or British city street at night and it isn't hard to come across a Polish lady 'selling her wares'. Though admittedly thats more to do with the mafia's sex trade, or probably more accurately, the mafia's sex slavery industry.
"Neither apathy nor antipathy can ever bring out the truth of history" Eoin Mac Neill.
Back to Top
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard
Avatar
Lord of Hut River Province Principality

Joined: 01-May-2005
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 5713
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 15:44
Originally posted by Parnell Parnell wrote:

I'm not sure if prostitution is more acceptable in Thailand than anywere else. Could we say the same about Eastern Europeans nowadays? Go on to any Irish or British city street at night and it isn't hard to come across a Polish lady 'selling her wares'. Though admittedly thats more to do with the mafia's sex trade, or probably more accurately, the mafia's sex slavery industry.


I must flatly disagree, sorry mate.

Living in a country in close proximity to Thailand, where many of our nationals do go to holiday, I can say the sex industry is far more open and pervasive and unabashed than in the UK. You simply cannot compare what goes on in seedy British districts to the blatant sex industry of Thailand, they are on two very different levels. Thailand is indeed distinct for its sex industry.
It is not the challenges a people face which define who they are, but rather the way in which they respond to those challenges.

Back to Top
Parnell View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Avatar

Joined: 04-Apr-2007
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 1367
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 16:01
Hmm... seeing as I've never set foot on Asian soil it looks like I'll have to take you at your word. I hope your a man of honour!
"Neither apathy nor antipathy can ever bring out the truth of history" Eoin Mac Neill.
Back to Top
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard
Avatar
Lord of Hut River Province Principality

Joined: 01-May-2005
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 5713
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 17:20
I have been flooded with shocking tales from friends who simply visited there. None of them claimed to be in search of sexual adventures, the sex acts and prostititution was simply pushed on them while they were in ordinary areas of tourist resorts and big cities. Seriously, it is not comparable to anywhere in Europe. It is pushed on you, you don't need to go looking for it.
It is not the challenges a people face which define who they are, but rather the way in which they respond to those challenges.

Back to Top
Seko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Avatar
Superfluous Enabler of Sekostan

Joined: 01-Sep-2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8682
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 17:38
Hmmm, with all that 'pushing' going on I wonder how the rickshaw business is doing? Pushing and pulling. One gets confused under all the exertion. 
Copyright 2004 Seko
Back to Top
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Avatar

Joined: 11-May-2006
Status: Offline
Points: 1900
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 19:50
Originally posted by Constantine XI Constantine XI wrote:

I have been flooded with shocking tales from friends who simply visited there. None of them claimed to be in search of sexual adventures, the sex acts and prostititution was simply pushed on them while they were in ordinary areas of tourist resorts and big cities. Seriously, it is not comparable to anywhere in Europe. It is pushed on you, you don't need to go looking for it.
I recently spent a week in Thailand and my experience was different. There are places where you have them all over you but there are some other places where it's not at all like that.

Edited by Chilbudios - 13-May-2009 at 19:52
Back to Top
Paul View Drop Down
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
Avatar
AE Immoderator

Joined: 21-Aug-2004
Location: Hyperborea
Status: Offline
Points: 966
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 22:21
Originally posted by Reginmund Reginmund wrote:

Thailand's thriving sex industry is often a topic of some contemporary interest, for reasons intellectual as well as carnal, but what made Thailand into the sex paradise it is today?
 
Once upon a time Thailand was the brothel of the world, as Singapore and Hong Kong had been before. Now the Shang Hai or Manila surpass it and soon Pnom Penn will too along with several other Chinese cities. There is a pattern here, wealth. With increased wealth in Thailand the age of sex workers has gone up and the amount of new girls joining the industry has decreased.
 
 
 
Originally posted by Reginmund Reginmund wrote:


Several explanations have been put forward. One holds that the large number of American soldiers who passed through Thailand during the Vietnam war, combined with Thailand's large number of poor country girls, resulted in widespread prostitution and established an exploitative pattern for the lower classes of Thai society.

Others would rather point to far deeper roots, suggesting that prostitution has been inseparably intertwined with Thai culture for centuries. In turn this has produced a society that is uniquely tolerant of prostitutes, and although these women still carry a social stigma it is in no way comparable to that in most other societies. For example, the treshold for selling one's children to brothels is comparatively low, and only the most conservative would think twice about marrying a former prostitute.
 
Um no..... The Vietnam war explanation is popular but completely wrong. The first European travellers to Thailand in the 17th century found a thriving brothel scene no different from China or Japan of the age. Also the Bangkok sex industry boom was created when the Thai government outlawed opium and the Chinese turned all the dens into brothels instead. Few girls or children are sold to brothels as the industry is mostly voluntary no worse here than western countries, pimps don't exist. And it is difficult for a former prostitute to find marriage not easy.
 
As for the low class prostitution comment read my article on Sakdina on this forum, that addresses that.
 
 
Originally posted by Constantine XI Constantine XI wrote:

Living in a country in close proximity to Thailand, where many of our nationals do go to holiday, I can say the sex industry is far more open and pervasive and unabashed than in the UK. You simply cannot compare what goes on in seedy British districts to the blatant sex industry of Thailand, they are on two very different levels. Thailand is indeed distinct for its sex industry.
 
No worse or blatent than Amsterdam though, and that it is so public and open is why there is so little abuse and exploitation going on. Compare that to India where they kidnap women and hold tham prisoner in back streets.
 
 
 
Now here's my pennies worth.
 
Prostitution isn't one thing. There are areas with prostitution in major cities, tourist spots and border towns, but in the rest of Thialand it doesn't exist. Few Thais visit these areas so don't even know they live in a country which such a reputation and those who live in these areas view it as normality and are unaware the rest of the world is not like that.
 
Prostitution exists for the wealthy in the form of minor wives, mistresses, expensive clubs and massage parlours. Most are brothels  are owned by top politicians and seen part of the culture. They have been around for centuries. Tourist areas are contraversial but generate too much money to close, though they did try a few years ago when the economy was more healthy, but Thai politics belives in the magic of the market place and not interfering with business, same with drugs until Taksin came to power.
 
There is little morally wrong with sleeping with a prostitute, if a wife or girlfriend finds out she generally doesn't mind, a mistress of minor wife more serious. There is plenty morally wrong with being a prostitute however, this prejudice will never be vocalised. There is much less morally wrong with being a minor wife or mistress. Many girls in the prostitution industry rationalise that they are hired girlfriends, hiring girlfriends is seen somewhere between being a mistress and prostitute and has a long tradition going back centuries even European travellers would hire a mistress or wife for a few months hundreds of years ago and this hiring still exist in the tourism industry today, most prostitute apsire to do this.
 
Basically the Sakdina article covers it, Thai rulers see little problem with it. They also believe in libertarian economics and are greedy, very very greedy.
 


Edited by Paul - 13-May-2009 at 22:26
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Back to Top
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Avatar

Joined: 15-Feb-2005
Location: DesertSouthwest
Status: Offline
Points: 3265
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2009 at 20:10
A friend told me he went to Thailand in the late 70's and got a girl in her late teens or 20's for five dollars. This was for the entire weekend and she took part of the money and took him dancing and to dinner. WOW- what a bargain. I hear the prices have gone up since then but I have never been to Asia - only Asia Minor in Turkey.

I have no problem with this as long as the girls/woman are over 18 and not forced into this and they are not children. I know the sex trade has drawn in all types of pedophiles and some have been arrested on their return to the USA. I saw a news bit about an American Dentist who was busted for doing this in Costa Rica. Now that Cuba is open will that area also develop a sex industry? Really, according to some articles I have read it is already there.

Well then, brothers and fellow citizens and soldiers, remember this in order that your memorial, your fame and freedom will be eternal.
Back to Top
Voskhod View Drop Down
Knight
Knight
Avatar

Joined: 11-Oct-2008
Location: Melbourne
Status: Offline
Points: 98
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voskhod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2009 at 11:04
Generally agree with Paul's post above.

[quote=ConstantineXI]I have been flooded with shocking tales from friends who simply visited there. None of them claimed to be in search of sexual adventures, the sex acts and prostititution was simply pushed on them while they were in ordinary areas of tourist resorts and big cities. Seriously, it is not comparable to anywhere in Europe. It is pushed on you, you don't need to go looking for it.[/quote]

Depends on where you travel, I guess. In places like Pattaya, certain... views of Western tourists tend to dominate.
"All the true heroes of history will be forgotten and all the villains will be remembered as heroes."
- Leo Tolstoy
Back to Top
cahaya View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Avatar
The Auror

Joined: 05-Oct-2005
Location: Malaysia
Status: Offline
Points: 1264
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cahaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2009 at 07:19
There is an old article on this matter. I can't confirm the static reliability but it is interesting to read as it's regarding this thread. Would like to share with u guys:-

Thailand’s Long Tradition of Prostitution Modern Attitude Shifts vs. Huge Economic Benefits


Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.063 seconds.