Print Page | Close Window

Belief in an Afterlife

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Scholarly Pursuits
Forum Name: Intellectual discussions
Forum Description: Discuss political and philosophical theories, religious beliefs and other academic subjects
Moderators: AE Moderators
URL: http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=2399
Printed Date: 17-Jul-2019 at 20:33
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Belief in an Afterlife
Posted By: lastbout
Subject: Belief in an Afterlife
Date Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 16:51
Now, many people wonder what will happen once we die. Many religions have answers to what happens to us when we die. People also have their own spin on things. Now even for nonreligious people, do you believe in any sort of an afterlife?



Replies:
Posted By: Mixcoatl
Date Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 19:13
no. And I'm glad there is none. Things that are good are usually good because they have an end.

-------------
"Some argue that atheism partly stems from a failure to fairly and judiciously consider the facts"
"Atheists deny the existence of Satan, while simultaneously doing his work."

- Conservapedia


Posted By: lastbout
Date Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 19:40
What proof is there in no afterlife, if I may ask?


Posted By: Seko
Date Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 20:13
Belief in an afterlife is for believers. No belief in an afterlife is for disbelievers. Easy enough to write, yet deep enough to ponder upon.


Posted By: Paul
Date Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 20:24

Originally posted by lastbout lastbout wrote:

What proof is there in no afterlife, if I was ask?

It's traditional for people asserting something exists to provide proof.Skepticism is the sensible position of saying I'll keep an open mind and believe in something after you show me some proof. So asking for proof that you don't believe in something until there is proof is.... well...

 

Anyway the afterlife does exist and it's scientifically provable. The human body contains sources of radiation, thus has an afterlife. (how long the half life is I'm not too sure though).



-------------
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk - http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk - http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk


Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 21:23
no it does not exist, but if it did I would much rather go to the hell version as all the cool people are there I wouldnt wan t to go to heaven and hang oout with all the boring people and goody two shoes.  All the cool people, the people who have pushed society forwards, and the great leaders would be in hell according to most religions, as would most peopel with even half intresting lives.  And sure Hitler and Stalin would be there too but just like in prisons the worst scum are on the lowest pekin g order and i could beat them up for fun.

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton


Posted By: Seko
Date Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 21:37

I hope the Koala didn't crap into your brain.



Posted By: coolstorm
Date Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 21:59

i hope there will be an afterlife cause if there's none, it'll be sad. we only live for a certain number of years and that's it.

but if there is, i don't understand how it will work.

where do people come from? since the population has always been increasing

where do people go? won't the afterlife world get overpopulated if people keep going there after they die?



-------------
明犯強漢者 雖遠必誅
釣 魚 列 島 乃 我 中 華 之 固 有 領 土 , 屬 中 華 民 族 萬 代 之 基 業 , 斷 不 容 任 何 外 國 勢 力 染 指


Posted By: Genghis
Date Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 22:29
I believe in an afterlife personally because I believe in God, but I think it's pretty presumptious of people to say that if you don't believe in one you're going to Hell.  No mortal can truly know that.

-------------
Member of IAEA


Posted By: lastbout
Date Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 23:18
I believe that there is an afterlife, and I belive it because im a Christian. But, i am searching my faith and questioning beliefs, as i believe every religious believer should do. The question is, is the mind tied to the body? Is there actually a difference in body and soul? Is the human mind and human ideas more than just brain waves and senses? I cannot be sure.


Posted By: John the Kern
Date Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 06:14
 I believe their is an afterlife, but it is nither a hell or heaven but can swig either way personally depending on how you exist in this life, btw im a pagan

-------------
My peoples tale is written in blood


Posted By: Mixcoatl
Date Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 07:26
Originally posted by Tobodai Tobodai wrote:

no it does not exist, but if it did I would much rather go to the hell version as all the cool people are there I wouldnt wan t to go to heaven and hang oout with all the boring people and goody two shoes.

That's a great way to piss off fundis: "so only [insert random sect here]ers go to heaven? In that case I'd rather go to hell than going to a heaven full of people like you."


-------------
"Some argue that atheism partly stems from a failure to fairly and judiciously consider the facts"
"Atheists deny the existence of Satan, while simultaneously doing his work."

- Conservapedia


Posted By: Le Renard
Date Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 09:33
I believe in the afterlife.  If you think about it for a second.. Why would we be here if there was no plan for us once we died.  We are eternal beings.  Just think about that.

-------------
"History repeats itself because nobody listened the first time."


Posted By: dark_one
Date Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 13:49
 I don't know if there is or isn't and it is impossible to imagine what not existing would be like if there isn't.


Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 15:32

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli wrote:

Originally posted by Tobodai Tobodai wrote:

no it does not exist, but if it did I would much rather go to the hell version as all the cool people are there I wouldnt wan t to go to heaven and hang oout with all the boring people and goody two shoes.

That's a great way to piss off fundis: "so only [insert random sect here]ers go to heaven? In that case I'd rather go to hell than going to a heaven full of people like you."

exactly, captain Zap Brannagan



-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton


Posted By: Capt. Lubber
Date Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 15:37
I don't believe there is. When you die you rot, and if you're lucky your body might provide nutrition for some pretty flowers

I'm an atheist, I don't believe in an afterlife at any circumstance. I don't believe we are here for any reason, other than to reproduce. I don't think we are eternal beings. I believe the idea of an afterlife was created by naive and primitive cavemen with a fear of death. It is a comfort if you have a crappy life, that you think you will go to somewhere nice when you die I don't much like religion, and this is but one aspect that I find totally irrational. I think religion is totally superflous(sp?) in the western world in the 21st century.

Sorry, but I had my first visit by Jehovas Witnesses today, and they are without doubt the stupidest, most narrow-minded people I have ever met. Just needed to vent out a bit. I hope all of you who believe in an afterlife aren't a Jehovas Witness

-------------
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse


Posted By: white dragon
Date Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 19:49
no i am not

my sister was also talked to by a JW today

-------------
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman


Posted By: Jhangora
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 10:29

I do not believe in the existence of soul therefore I believe there is no afterlife.

[/QUOTE]

Anyway the afterlife does exist and it's scientifically provable. The human body contains sources of radiation, thus has an afterlife. (how long the half life is I'm not too sure though).

[/QUOTE]

Many non-living objects also emit radiation.Does that prove that they have a life {or an afterlife}.



-------------
Jai Badri Vishal


Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 11:07
I'm an agnostic, so I really don't know.

I guess we will see it - or probably won't - after death.

Who knows? Maybe we are already dead!


Posted By: vulkan02
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 11:32
Hmm this is a touchy issue because I believe life constitutes only physical existence. If there is such a thing as reincarnation, where you are born again, go through culturization, maturity and then alll life's troubles endlessly then I have to say that's pretty scary to even ponder. The thing is that if it is so you sadly lose your personality each time you die as well as memory. So when you are born again(if you're smart) you'll be scratching your head again and again and again thinking wether there's life after death since you never knew you previously existed. So the best thing that there can be is an eternal sleep or a realization in a higher dimension??

-------------
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao


Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 12:35
Eternal sleep, eh? You mean vanishing by all means without a turnback forever?

If that's what you believe, then you should be very sorry when someone you loved dies.


Posted By: vulkan02
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 13:52
Sorry for myself for losing my relative yes... sorry for them i can't say the same because I wouldn't know for sure if they are completely extinguished or "went" somewhere else.
We humans have to consider the possibility that life wasn't created for us to enjoy or created for a purpose after all. Everything that we have created religion, material possession, empires, ideas have been created exclusively to serve us. However all these things are also impermanent and constantly changing. Life could be the same... if its made to serve someone it might be just as the thing that we have created... impermanent and changing.


-------------
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao


Posted By: Mangudai
Date Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 07:15
To me life after death is a matter of course. According to physics, energy can't be destroyed. So how could our life-energy be destroyed and cease to exist just because our bodies die? No to me, there are plenty of evidence that the soul lives on in some form or another

-------------
Nu guhk go mis leat meahcit, de lea mis dorvu d嫕 eatnam alde

Ossfok i s kringest sturwekster st廞liger. Summer 彉 kulluma i riktit finer!


Posted By: arch.buff
Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 20:32
Well, im a christian so my answer should mirror that. in short, i do believe there is a afterlife and that when we die we will either go to heaven or hell, simple as that. The one thing I dont get about atheists is that they believe we are here on Earth for no other reason then to reproduce? sounds a lil too simple for me, but maybe some atheists out there can elaborate. So basically to non-believers our lives are as imporatnt as a cow we slaughter to make McDonalds hamburgers out of?? seeing as from their point of you view we both dont have souls and are simply here to reproduce.  


Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 20:52
Originally posted by Le Renard Le Renard wrote:

I believe in the afterlife.  If you think about it for a second.. Why would we be here if there was no plan for us once we died.  We are eternal beings.  Just think about that.


Why would we not be here if there is no plan at all? Life is pretty absurd: people life to work instead of working for living, justice seems to be nowhere, freedom may well be limited to choose between Pepsi and Coke, truth... well, you see how hard is to come to any relevant conclussion that is accepted as truthful by all.

We are not eternal beings: we were born and before that there was no me/you. There can well be a future time when there's no me/you again and the order of things is restored (without me/you).

The only reason I doubt is because Astrology. Else I would be plainly atheist/materialist. But even if Astrology works, that may mean nothing at all: there could be material laws behind or be one of those subtle phenomena whose physical principles we are as unable to understand so far as a dog is unable to understand quantum mechanics or a film.

We could also well be space-temporal manifestations of something much "larger" than us, call it God if you wish. And as anything in space-time we are ephimerous while the greater being that we are too is not ephimerous at all but also is unable to manifest in our universe but through us.


-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!


Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 20:54
Originally posted by Barış Barış wrote:

Eternal sleep, eh? You mean vanishing by all means without a turnback forever?

If that's what you believe, then you should be very sorry when someone you loved dies.


Not necessarily. As some philosopher pointed out long ago, there's no such big diference between being alive or dead. Being alive may not be so important after all. I do worry about suffering and pain but hardly about death.


-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!


Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 20:59
Originally posted by arch.buff arch.buff wrote:

Well, im a christian so my answer should mirror that. in short, i do believe there is a afterlife and that when we die we will either go to heaven or hell, simple as that. The one thing I dont get about atheists is that they believe we are here on Earth for no other reason then to reproduce? sounds a lil too simple for me, but maybe some atheists out there can elaborate. So basically to non-believers our lives are as imporatnt as a cow we slaughter to make McDonalds hamburgers out of?? seeing as from their point of you view we both dont have souls and are simply here to reproduce.  


We must clearly consider that we are here for nothing, at least as a possibility. Most of what people do seem so meaningless anyhow.


-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!


Posted By: Ottoman Emperor
Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 21:04
  So you think.  We do many important things.

-------------
God Bless You


Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 09:33
Originally posted by Ottoman Emperor Ottoman Emperor wrote:

  So you think.  We do many important things.


Like what?

Importance is in the eyes of whoever looks. In the long run, everything is futile.


-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!


Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 10:22
Originally posted by Maju Maju wrote:

Importance is in the eyes of whoever looks. In the long run, everything is futile.

I totally agree!


Posted By: vulkan02
Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 11:03
Plus we have spread out like rats and this reinforces the view that it might just be meaningless because just like the shells at sea, the ants in the ground and pretty much everything else we just replicate ourselves.

-------------
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao


Posted By: honeybee
Date Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 21:19

"no it does not exist, but if it did I would much rather go to the hell version as all the cool people are there I wouldnt wan t to go to heaven and hang oout with all the boring people and goody two shoes. "

 

What are you talking about? There are plenty of evidence for afterlife.

http://www.victorzammit.com/book/index.html - http://www.victorzammit.com/book/index.html



Posted By: Infidel
Date Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 21:58

I have a strong belief in life after death purely based on what it can be based: faith. And I can tell you it is a much more comforting and rewarding thought than just believing that you cease to exist as your bodies dies.

I'm not criticizing those people who don't believe in LAD. Each one believes in whatever suits him/her well. As for the evidence or not of an afterlife, it's the same as for God - There is no scientific fact that proves it and there's no scientific fact that disproves it.



-------------
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?


Posted By: Vamun Tianshu
Date Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 22:22

I believe and don't believe in an afterlife.I may be athiest,but my atheism is pretty much a different view than most of the athiests on this forum.Thats why I consider myself,"A Unique Athiest".

Anyway,The Afterlife which I believe in is different than religious afterlife.It is divided by how you die.Murder,Suicide,Natural Disease,Natural Causes,Old Age,Child Birth,etc.By how you die,you go on a different course.Suicides are pained to see how their life could've been had they not kill themselves.Old Age people get to see their family grow,Murdered people get to basically see life continue without them.My afterlife is dark and gritty,and their is no light.Only for the ones who have proved themselves worthful in life can truly have a rewarding afterlife,like having the opportunity to visit what they changed as spirits.The people who never got to live their dreams haunt the Earth with their ghastly presence.

I am a paranormalist.I believe we are born to serve ourselves,and not serve some fictional higher being,or kings,or queens or prophets.We are here because we are here,either to create,destroy,desecrate,decimate,obliterate,whatever.And because I am considered by many to be a Animal Rights Radicalist,I consider Animal Lives to be as important as Human Lives,since they are alive,and we are alive,and I don't think we are superior.



-------------

In Honor


Posted By: honeybee
Date Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 23:16
 "have a strong belief in life after death purely based on what it can be based: faith. And I can tell you it is a much more comforting and rewarding thought than just believing that you cease to exist as your bodies dies.

I'm not criticizing those people who don't believe in LAD. Each one believes in whatever suits him/her well. As for the evidence or not of an afterlife, it's the same as for God - There is no scientific fact that proves it and there's no scientific fact that disproves it."

 

There are plenty of scientific evidence for afterlife, but not for God. Reincarnation is well studied by Ian Stevenson, one of the most well known scientist of the time. Through strict scientific procedure he is able to trace memories of children to their previous life with amazing accuracy and detail. Frauds are highly improbable for the reason provided since there are no rewards or fame given, in fact the families that are asked is quite annoyed at Stevenson, I say its more than just blind faith, it requires prove.



Posted By: Mixcoatl
Date Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 13:03
Originally posted by Infidel Infidel wrote:

And I can tell you it is a much more comforting and rewarding thought than just believing that you cease to exist as your bodies dies.

not necessarily. I think it's more comforting to believe that you cease to exist when you die than being afraid you won't go to heaven but to hell.


-------------
"Some argue that atheism partly stems from a failure to fairly and judiciously consider the facts"
"Atheists deny the existence of Satan, while simultaneously doing his work."

- Conservapedia


Posted By: Infidel
Date Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 18:01
Ok, let me rephrase it then. It is much more comforting and rewarding to me that there's life after death. God gives the answer to the mystery of existence.

-------------
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?


Posted By: ArmenianSurvival
Date Posted: 22-Nov-2005 at 02:09
I think belief in the afterlife is the only way humans have to deal with the disbelief that comes with the pain of death. In most societies, death is looked upon in a negative way. I dont believe that death is a negative thing, because it is part of life. When someone i know dies (like my grandmother a couple of years ago), i know that they are gone forever and I will never see them again. I enjoyed our moments and her memory will live with me, but thats about it. Sorry to break it to you guys, but death is just as beautiful as birth and life; it is the completion of our temoporary journey in this reality.

It would be nice to have an afterlife though. Whether there is one or not, or whether we will simply be reincarnated, i dont know. Im not ruling out the possibility, i just wouldnt bet on it.


-------------
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

晛桯 掍梮 掅捸桮 捸桮 掍梮


Posted By: Quetzalcoatl
Date Posted: 22-Nov-2005 at 02:50

Originally posted by Mangudai Mangudai wrote:

To me life after death is a matter of course. According to physics, energy can't be destroyed. So how could our life-energy be destroyed and cease to exist just because our bodies die? No to me, there are plenty of evidence that the soul lives on in some form or another

 

Yet no man enters the same river twice, nor a river is entered twice by the same person; which means you aren't the same person that you were just a second ago and you are radically different from the baby you once were. The atoms of a body only belong to that particular body for short time; the body should be viewed at as fluid rather than a solid>This means you've already died many times unbeknown to you--all that is left is the memories, yet even that can be destroyed or altered.

 

So when you say you believe in the afterlife, what do you people expect to survive?

 



-------------
Creativity is key


Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 22-Nov-2005 at 04:51
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl Quetzalcoatl wrote:

Originally posted by Mangudai Mangudai wrote:

To me life after death is a matter of course. According to physics, energy can't be destroyed. So how could our life-energy be destroyed and cease to exist just because our bodies die? No to me, there are plenty of evidence that the soul lives on in some form or another

 

Yet no man enters the same river twice, nor a river is entered twice by the same person; which means you aren't the same person that you were just a second ago and you are radically different from the baby you once were. The atoms of a body only belong to that particular body for short time; the body should be viewed at as fluid rather than a solid>This means you've already died many times unbeknown to you--all that is left is the memories, yet even that can be destroyed or altered.



Excellent observation, Quetzacoatl. It's truly a paradox worrying about afterlife when we just can barely recall our first years for instance. Even is something would survive the lack of memory/conscience makes that something a diferent thing from what I used to be, becoming therefore another being.

Also, on Mangudai's negentropist comment: when you die worms, funghi or other "cleaners" get your energy. Some dissipates as heat, of course.


-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!


Posted By: honeybee
Date Posted: 22-Nov-2005 at 12:41

Daoist wisdom:

"Empty the self completely;
Embrace perfect peace.
The myriad things will rise and move;
I watch it return to rest.
All the flourishing things
Will return to their source.

This return is peaceful;
being peaceful means life returns,
An eternal decay and renewal.
knowing this is enlightenment,
Ignorant of this brings misery.

Who accepts nature's flow becomes all-cherishing;
Being all-cherishing he becomes impartial;
Being impartial he becomes magnanimous;
Being magnanimous he becomes natural;
Being natural he becomes one with the Way;
Being one with the Way he becomes eternal:
Though his body will decay, the Way will not."

 

This is one of the few religion that view death as natural, if not desirable. The typical Daoist philosopher tells you, how do you know death is worse than life? How do you know the dead people are afraid to be alive?



Posted By: Herodotus
Date Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 11:55

Originally posted by arch.buff arch.buff wrote:

Well, im a christian so my answer should mirror that. in short, i do believe there is a afterlife and that when we die we will either go to heaven or hell, simple as that. The one thing I dont get about atheists is that they believe we are here on Earth for no other reason then to reproduce? sounds a lil too simple for me, but maybe some atheists out there can elaborate. So basically to non-believers our lives are as imporatnt as a cow we slaughter to make McDonalds hamburgers out of?? seeing as from their point of you view we both dont have souls and are simply here to reproduce.  

The fact that we can reproduce does not mean that our mission is to do so. The notion that we are here for a purpose is based on the concept that there is some higher power that placed us here, whether it is an onipotent being, fate, or "the universe". Disregard that. We are here to be; I don't mean to live, but simply to be, whatever that state of is-ness is.

Originally posted by Vamun Tianshu Vamun Tianshu wrote:

I am a paranormalist.I believe we are born to serve ourselves,and not serve some fictional higher being,or kings,or queens or prophets.We are here because we are here,either to create,destroy,desecrate,decimate,obliterate,whatever.And because I am considered by many to be a Animal Rights Radicalist,I consider Animal Lives to be as important as Human Lives,since they are alive,and we are alive,and I don't think we are superior.

Assuming that your alive, which I think you must be to have written this post, you must eat. Assuming you a human, again, you must be to have written this post, you must eat organic matter. We humans cannot eat rocks. So, here is the contradiction in your philosophy. You think it is wrong to eat animals because they, like we humans, are alive. However, as I have proven, you must eat living things, plants most likely. You are a hypocrite.

You said earlier that you think the meaning of life is to be; I agree. You said that we humans might destory, decimate, create, etc., it dosen't matter. Why then does that power of obliteration stop at the cow? Again, there is a contradiction; if we are alive for no purpose but to be, then why do you demand that we live for the interests of the cows? That is no different than living to satisfy some eternal being.

Adressed to everyone:

This philosophy I have attempted to explain does not preclude hope, it does not render everything futile. Rather, it removes the truly futile items. What is more meaningful than living? Concentrate on that. f**k the universe, you're it. Live. "No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn." So don't.



-------------
"Dieu est un com嶮ien jouant une assistance trop effray嶪 de rire."
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Francois Marie Arouet, Voltaire



Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 13:39
Originally posted by honeybee honeybee wrote:

 

This is one of the few religion that view death as natural, if not desirable.


Most ancient religions didn't believe in an afterlife, at least no clear prospect of a better afterlife as that promised by Near Eastern religions (Zoroastrism, late Judaism, Christianism, Islam). You died and your soul went to Hades or something of the like. Hades was a vague place, kind of a limbo: not paradise nor hell. In other cases, the souls of the ancestors continued living somhow in the imaginary of the descendants (psychological transposition) but the belief on afterlife was then much more diffuse and unclear.

Quote

The typical Daoist philosopher tells you, how do you know death is worse than life? How do you know the dead people are afraid to be alive?



According to some astrologists, among who the belief on reincarnation is widespread, some people ("Plutonian" type) do not want to live again but I have been unable to confirm such theory myself.


-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!


Posted By: arch.buff
Date Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 02:19
Originally posted by Herodotus Herodotus wrote:

[QUOTE=arch.buff]Well, im a christian so my answer should mirror that. in short, i do believe there is a afterlife and that when we die we will either go to heaven or hell, simple as that. The one thing I dont get about atheists is that they believe we are here on Earth for no other reason then to reproduce? sounds a lil too simple for me, but maybe some atheists out there can elaborate. So basically to non-believers our lives are as imporatnt as a cow we slaughter to make McDonalds hamburgers out of?? seeing as from their point of you view we both dont have souls and are simply here to reproduce.  

The fact that we can reproduce does not mean that our mission is to do so. The notion that we are here for a purpose is based on the concept that there is some higher power that placed us here, whether it is an onipotent being, fate, or "the universe". Disregard that. We are here to be; I don't mean to live, but simply to be, whatever that state of is-ness is.

 

-Ok, kinda off the wall.....but you might have to explain what you mean by "be" or are you simply saying that you dont know what "be" means. If we are here for no other purpose than to live then we must reproduce. If were here to "be" and life wasnt important and reproduction wasnt of any significance then would we still be here today? One might think the concept of just "being" might get us extinct seeing as how the continuation(reproduction) of our existance isnt of any importance. 



Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 09:52

We know that we are - at least I know that I am.

All else is speculation.

There may be a cause, there may be a reason. But there is no need for either, other than to satisfy our desire for self-importance.

 



-------------
Citizen of Ankh-Morpork
Never believe anything until it has been officially denied - Sir Humphrey Appleby, 1984.


Posted By: SearchAndDestroy
Date Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 11:54

I'm a athiest I guess. I wish I could believe in a after life but to me that seems to easy and simple. I believe that our purpose, if thats what you want to call it is to reproduce, just because we evolved to have a powerful intelligence compared to other animals doesn't make us any better besides being higher on the food chain in some senses.

Everything we live by and klnow is basicly artificial in a sense, I mean everything we follow law, religion, morals, etc... it's all the product of man. Other animals live life the way it's ment, if there is a afterlife I'd think they'd be more deserving of it then humans. All we did is screwed up the world and kill and take lands from other creatures, yet in our own minds we see ourselves as honest living beings, but if you really think about it and are willing to criticize the human race as a whole and compare it with how everything else lives, you'll see we aren't apart of this world we just make it the way we want.

I'd like to believe that as a human and apart of the characteristics being human is to find my soul mate and raise a family. When I have children I get to teach them the rights and wrongs, how to live in our world and how to enjoy it. To me thats the purpose of life, raising a family and watching them grow to adults and hopefully being in the image you hoped for makes everything worth while in life. I may be young now and I may have to wait a couple more years before I start my family, but I look forward to it.

All that being said, I accept being human, can't change the way we run this world and wouldn't if I could, it's life, just alittle altered by us.



-------------
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey


Posted By: Herodotus
Date Posted: 04-Dec-2005 at 14:14
Originally posted by arch.buff arch.buff wrote:

-Ok, kinda off the wall.....but you might have to explain what you mean by "be" or are you simply saying that you dont know what "be" means. If we are here for no other purpose than to live then we must reproduce. If were here to "be" and life wasnt important and reproduction wasnt of any significance then would we still be here today? One might think the concept of just "being" might get us extinct seeing as how the continuation(reproduction) of our existance isnt of any importance. 

You are confusing utility and meaning. An axe is used to cut wood, but the meaning of it's existance is not to cut wood; except in that its human manufacturer gave it existance for the purpose of cutting wood. We humans can reproduce, and do, and need to if we are to survive as a species. However, that does not mean that our purpose, the meaning of our lives, is to reproduce. For their to be a purpose, there has to be intent, and for there to be intent, their has to be some absolute being to have had said intent in creating us. No, the rational man says, random natural forces happened to given rise to humanity, which happens to have certain physical charicteristics which allow it to replicate itself. Evolution had no intention. Just because we can reproduce does not mean it is our mission to do so. Nature is not a master with desires for us to survive, nor do anything else, which we must satisfy. When I say "be", I mean that in the simplest sense of the word. There is no meaning in life, in the sense that people ask the question, we simply exist, we be. When I say the meaning of life is to live, I mean that in the loosest sense of the word: do what you please. Obey the law and live a boring life, don't obey the law, kill yourself, become an artist, do whatever it is that you will: in fact, you can't not.



-------------
"Dieu est un com嶮ien jouant une assistance trop effray嶪 de rire."
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Francois Marie Arouet, Voltaire



Posted By: arch.buff
Date Posted: 05-Dec-2005 at 07:50
I guess it all comes down to our beliefs and our interpretation of life. To me your above post seems too frivolous for it to be human life, again just based on my beliefs......which are different than yours.


Posted By: fogger
Date Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 22:18
well scientifically there is no afterlife....

thats what you really must know...

but since people can't hold
on to the fact that their loved ones are
gone....

they create an afterlife stuff....

why cant they just all accept death.....

they create an afterlife to lie
to themselves and comfort themselves
more but in reality or in the subconcoius
their mind know that the ones they
cherised is gone foreever....

cause people like to lie to themselves....

which sux....


-------------
~~reality is what you think it to be, if you believe, you would insist its real, whereas, in fact, its not~~
~~if you look deep inside yourself, all you will get is a hollow empty space and no soul~~


Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 22:54
Originally posted by Tobodai Tobodai wrote:

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli wrote:

Originally posted by Tobodai Tobodai wrote:

no it does not exist, but if it did I would much rather go to the hell version as all the cool people are there I wouldnt wan t to go to heaven and hang oout with all the boring people and goody two shoes.
That's a great way to piss off fundis: "so only [insert random sect here]ers go to heaven? In that case I'd rather go to hell than going to a heaven full of people like you."


exactly, captain Zap Brannagan


    Futurama is such a great show. sorry everybody that was a little off topic. I think it would be cool if there was an afterlife. I can image there would be blue sky surrounding you with the warm sun shinging on you with extremely comfortable white robes in your person, and soft clouds under your feet. And with all that stuff there is a pool table. yea...all that stuff and a pool table would make heaven just so heavenly


Posted By: Timotheus
Date Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 00:08
Pfft. You can't prove an afterlife, it's metaphysical. But just because it's metaphysical doesn't mean it's any less present. Naturally, you wouldn't believe me.


Posted By: King Kang of Mu
Date Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 04:04
"We are not human-beings having spiritual experience, but spiritual-beings having human experience."   -Wayne Dyer 

-------------
I believe I am a reflection, like the moon on water. When you see me, and I try to be a good man, you see yourself.
- from 'Kundun'

www.ted.com


Posted By: arch.buff
Date Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 20:21
I like that quote. Wish I would have heard it before, it would probably be in my sig right now.Big smile

-------------
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.


Posted By: Timotheus
Date Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 00:15
That's a very Platonist attitude.


Posted By: Roadkill
Date Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 09:23
 -First off I just want to explain what atheism is:

Atheism is the disbelief in a higher being or purpose, that is all. An atheist can believe in an afterlife or reincarnation, just not that these events are purpotrated by a higher being or purpose. So, if you don't believe in a higher beign or purpose then you are an atheist, any other views you might have are irrelevant to atheism. I'm just saying this because many people think that there's a whole philosophy behind atheism, but there isn't. Being for or against abortion is a political choice, not an atheist doctrine.

 -Now, I do not believe in an afterlife but I will not attempt to justify this view because you cannot prove a negative. Let me explain why I feel this way; things that are finite hold greater value and aiming for an afterlife in heaven makes you ignore the world you live in, sometimes to the brink of destroying it as with fundamentalists.

 -Now, another piece of information you should know is that my view on the universe is two-fold, one all-encompassing and one life encompassing. The all-encompassing view is that the universe was created by chance and everything in it and that everything is irrelevant. There is no purpose, all is futile. The life-encompassing view is based on the instincts and basic drives of life. I hold life as precious because I don't want to be killed, which is a natural instinct. Morals, good and evil, goals, all of this is irrelevant in the all-encompassing view, they are human constructs, but as they are our constructs we should live with them. If nothing matters then it doesn't matter if I try to make my stay here on earth as comfortable as possible., and so I do.


-------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net