History Community ~ All Empires Homepage


This is the Archive on WORLD Historia, the old original forum.

 You cannot post here - you can only read.

 

Here is the link to the new forum:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAtilla the Hun Appearance

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
IDonT View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai


Joined: 28-Jun-2007
Status: Offline
Points: 134
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atilla the Hun Appearance
    Posted: 22-Dec-2008 at 20:35
Is there a definate source as to the appearance of Attila the Hun.  The majority of documentaries and movies portray him as caucasian.  Roman sources of the Huns show their appearance to be "asiatic".  Could it be that the course of Hun migration, they intermarried with the European peoples of Russia and became more European. 
Back to Top
Knights View Drop Down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Avatar
AE Magazine Coordinator

Joined: 23-Oct-2006
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 3294
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2008 at 20:50
There are no first-hand accounts of Attila's appearance. A major source on Attila is Priscus of Byzantium, who visited Attila's court. Jordanes wrote his Getica around 100 years after Attila, but seems to have relied heavily upon Priscus' works - and it is Jordanes who provides the first extant account of Attila's appearance:

"He was short of stature, with a broad chest and a large head: his eyes were small, his beard thin and sprinkled with gray: and he had a flat nose and a swarthy complexion showing the evidences of his origin..." - Jordanes, Getica

Hope this helps a bit,

- Knights -

Back to Top
dexippus View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun


Joined: 17-Feb-2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 205
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dexippus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2008 at 16:40
Ammianus Marcellinus, writing in the late 4th century provides a Roman version of Hunnish appearence:

from the very moment of birth the cheeks of their infant children are deeply marked by an iron, in order that the hair instead of growing at the proper season on their faces, may be hindered by the scars; accordingly the Huns grow up without beards, and without any beauty. They all have closely knit and strong limbs and plump necks; they are of great size, and low legged, so that you might fancy them two-legged beasts, or the stout figures which are hewn out in a rude manner with an ax on the posts at the end of bridges.

Back to Top
IDonT View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai


Joined: 28-Jun-2007
Status: Offline
Points: 134
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2008 at 18:29
Thanks alot for info.
Back to Top
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Avatar

Joined: 03-Jul-2007
Location: Great Britain
Status: Offline
Points: 572
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 00:31
Ditto here, amazing quotes that made my mind picture a cleaner version of an ork for some reason they certainly sound built for battle.
 
Is there any reliable accounts/research that gives pretty close info as to the starting point and the route they took/kingdoms they passed through to get to europe?
long live the king of bhutan
Back to Top
Truthisnotrelitive View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl
Avatar

Joined: 13-Oct-2008
Status: Offline
Points: 32
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truthisnotrelitive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 02:03
knights description sounds typical of a mogoloid. small eyes, short neck, stubby in stature.
people who suffered from down syndrom were often reffured to as mogoliods befor Dr Down dignosed and catagorised the desies in 1866. there is an ethnic resemlence to this day between mogoliods and downsyndroms. even peoples in north china often resemble the escription given by knights.
a man sees as he wishes
Back to Top
Aaron1981 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard
Avatar

Joined: 09-Jan-2009
Status: Offline
Points: 0
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2009 at 19:35

Hard to determine when you have so many ethnic groups going through Turkey at that time. My best guess is Eurasian, maybe with a dash of middle-eastern.

Again, by the time the Mongol hordes moved so far West, many of them were regional recruits of conquered territories. That's not to say there weren't any ethnic Mongols with them though..
R1b1b2a1a2 - Germanic British Isles centered
Back to Top
MythTR View Drop Down
Knight
Knight
Avatar

Joined: 17-Feb-2009
Location: Türkiye
Status: Offline
Points: 73
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MythTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2009 at 21:31
Hello again.
 
Atilla or Attila was a Hun. You know that, The Turks (Huns) came Europe, and Atilla (or Attila) was the European Huns comander. He lived last , today's Hungary. The Hungary (magyar) name has coming from Hun-Turks. Oungur Turks change to Hungar Turks, Change to Hungar, and Hungary.
 
You can see a lot of Attila name in Hungary. Hungary people (magyars) doesn't agree with me I know they don't agree Atilla was a Turk, but history won't change, because it is reality.
 
summary: Huns (ancesstors of Turks) -> Europe Huns -> Atilla (Attila) -> Oungur Turks - Hungars- Hungary people (magyars)
 
sorry for all english grammer works.
 
If I wrong , correct it,
 
Thank's for your understanding.
 
 
We Turks are a people who throughout our history have been the very embodiment of freedom&independence
Mustafa Kemal ATATURK
Back to Top
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron


Joined: 12-Oct-2008
Status: Offline
Points: 407
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2009 at 04:15
Originally posted by MythTR MythTR wrote:

 
Hello again.
 
Atilla or Attila was a Hun. You know that, The Turks (Huns) came Europe, and Atilla (or Attila) was the European Huns comander.
 
Hungary people (magyars) doesn't agree with me I know they don't agree Atilla was a Turk, but history won't change, because it is reality.
 
 
 
 
 
Reality is,Atilla and original Huns were Mongoloid-looking Turkic people.
 
Overwhelming majority modern day Turkish nationals don't look Mongoloid,that is a fact you can't dispute.
 
He consolidated various Caucasoid-looking Central Asian & Indo-European Caucasus nomadic tribes along the way as his multi-ethnic/racial Hun Empire marched toward Europe in his world conquest.So,how do you know or absolutely sure that today's Turkish people and Hungarians are descended from same ethnic nomadic tribes ? !
 
Case in point,America Empire has 3 major races and countless ethnicities in its population.Fast forward 2000-3000 years from today,there are many nationalities claim having " American " ancestry and fancy whatever race or ethnicity fits the agenda of that time
 
Back to Top
MythTR View Drop Down
Knight
Knight
Avatar

Joined: 17-Feb-2009
Location: Türkiye
Status: Offline
Points: 73
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MythTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2009 at 18:27
Originally posted by pebbles pebbles wrote:

Originally posted by MythTR MythTR wrote:

 
Hello again.
 
Atilla or Attila was a Hun. You know that, The Turks (Huns) came Europe, and Atilla (or Attila) was the European Huns comander.
 
Hungary people (magyars) doesn't agree with me I know they don't agree Atilla was a Turk, but history won't change, because it is reality.
 
 
 
 
 
Reality is,Atilla and original Huns were Mongoloid-looking Turkic people.
 
Overwhelming majority modern day Turkish nationals don't look Mongoloid,that is a fact you can't dispute.
 
He consolidated various Caucasoid-looking Central Asian & Indo-European Caucasus nomadic tribes along the way as his multi-ethnic/racial Hun Empire marched toward Europe in his world conquest.So,how do you know or absolutely sure that today's Turkish people and Hungarians are descended from same ethnic nomadic tribes ? !
 
Case in point,America Empire has 3 major races and countless ethnicities in its population.Fast forward 2000-3000 years from today,there are many nationalities claim having " American " ancestry and fancy whatever race or ethnicity fits the agenda of that time
 
 
Why did you say that ? (whcih is colored with red) Is it about our topic ? Can't mongols look like Turks? Nevermind, I want o say a point.
 
Huns(Turks)->Atilla->Move to Europe->Atilla was a commander->Atilla sat today's hungary country->Atilla's family (meant genological three) made today's Hungary people.
 
it is all.
 
We Turks are a people who throughout our history have been the very embodiment of freedom&independence
Mustafa Kemal ATATURK
Back to Top
MythTR View Drop Down
Knight
Knight
Avatar

Joined: 17-Feb-2009
Location: Türkiye
Status: Offline
Points: 73
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MythTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2009 at 18:31
 
Atilla (Attila) ... The Whip Of God.
 
If you know Turkish or do you know a person who speaks Turkish or whatever If you want to see real article about Atilla, you can click here.
 


Edited by MythTR - 07-Mar-2009 at 18:45
We Turks are a people who throughout our history have been the very embodiment of freedom&independence
Mustafa Kemal ATATURK
Back to Top
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron


Joined: 12-Oct-2008
Status: Offline
Points: 407
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2009 at 06:17
 
1 old AE thread littered by your Turkish nationalist co-hort.
 
 
Modern Turkey Turks have little of the original Turks' blood, or that of the Xiongnu (Huns ), in my humble opinion.
 
 
Back to Top
MythTR View Drop Down
Knight
Knight
Avatar

Joined: 17-Feb-2009
Location: Türkiye
Status: Offline
Points: 73
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MythTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2009 at 19:45
Pebbles, look :
 
I don't want to be in arquement with you in this forum because forum rules say that.
 
If you want to speak with me about this topic or another one please Pm me and we can talk on msn.
 
You said, Modern Turkey Turks have little of the orginal Turks' blood,. And what do you expect from me if you say this sentence? If I said anything about your nation, country , dads and moms how do you feel ? Have you ever thinked it ? I think you have never.
 
If you want to see is there Turkish blood still here, I will be happy recive you from airport. You can come Turkey. You will be my guest and I will take you to the tour of Turkey.
 
Thank's for your comments.
 
Sorry for all english grammer wrongs.
 
 
---!---
 
I want to indicate a important point. I surfed on the forums about Turkish. And I always saw the forum users don't say Turkish, they say always Mongoloid mongoloid mongoloid. I am very sad about this thing. I send this msg to administrators of this forum. I have not a problem with mongols and specialy we have relatives with them. BUT I AM A TURK! Like all nation members I want to see my original nation original genological tree.
 
Turks are different
Mongols are different.
 
The last History researchments told us as you know.
The history won't change as you know better than me. 
The history should objective. I hope you have not any problems with us, with Turks.
 
Peace at home, peace in the world.
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk
 
I will never propaganda of Turkish nation, theese sentences are not a result of Nationalism.
 
Thank You!
 
 
 
We Turks are a people who throughout our history have been the very embodiment of freedom&independence
Mustafa Kemal ATATURK
Back to Top
calvo View Drop Down
General
General


Joined: 20-May-2007
Location: Spain
Status: Offline
Points: 848
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2009 at 20:35
reconstructed bust of Hun with skull elongation:
 
An artists impression of Atilla
Back to Top
calvo View Drop Down
General
General


Joined: 20-May-2007
Location: Spain
Status: Offline
Points: 848
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2009 at 20:44
Pebbles,
 
How many times must I tell you to put aside your American racialist views inherited from the apartheid era? I'm not the only one who has said this to you but it seems like that you don't want to listen.
 
The identity of every nation is defined primarily by the LANGUAGE and CULTURE they have, not by genetic ancestry.
For example, Spain, Portugal, France, and Rumania are all Latin-countries.
How many Spaniards, Portuguese, and French actually DESCEND genetically from the ancient Latin tribes from Central Italy that founded Rome? Probably very few.
Nevertheless, Spain, Portugal, and France ARE STILL Latin countries because they speak a Latin-derived language and share certain cultural traits common with the Italians.
 
In a similar way, Egypt is now considered an "Arab country" because of the language and religion. How many modern Egyptians descend from Arabs? probably VERY VERY FEW because the Nile Valley population was several times greater than that of the Arabian desert; but this does not make Egypt less "Arabic" than other Arab countries BECAUSE CULTURALLY IT IS ARABIC.
 
The same could be applied to Turkey. By the very fact that they speak a Turkic language, THEY ARE A TURKIC PEOPLE; and so are the Kazakhs, Kyrgyz, Tatars, and Uzbeks.
 
 
 
 
Back to Top
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron


Joined: 12-Oct-2008
Status: Offline
Points: 407
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 00:04
Originally posted by calvo calvo wrote:

 
How many times must I tell you to put aside your American racialist views inherited from the apartheid era ? I'm not the only one who has said this to you but it seems like that you don't want to listen.
 
The identity of every nation is defined primarily by the LANGUAGE and CULTURE they have, not by genetic ancestry.
 
For example, Spain, Portugal, France, and Rumania are all Latin-countries.How many Spaniards, Portuguese, and French actually DESCEND genetically from the ancient Latin tribes from Central Italy that founded Rome ? Probably very few.Nevertheless, Spain, Portugal, and France ARE STILL Latin countries because they speak a Latin-derived language and share certain cultural traits common with the Italians.
 
 
 
 
Only you a Spanish national and one Chilean here,no one else who is East Asian or other European nationality.Spanish mentality & world view don't apply in N America.I always know how White-America sees Hispanic-America in a different light Wink.So,I am never shock to read some Latin-Americans upset being group in another category by White-America because they're ignorant of actual  perception of still racially-conscious White-Americans.
 
French do have " Roman " blood and regard Italians as cousins.French are culturally and genetically Latin ( de facto Roman ).
 
As an ethnic southern Han-Chinese,I should know that a nation's identity is bonded by language & culture because Chinese are basically " Hanized " Mongoloid people with very diversed genetics.That's why we always explain to foreigners that Han is a cultural identity not a race because Han-Chinese population has many origins.
 
 
 
 
Back to Top
calvo View Drop Down
General
General


Joined: 20-May-2007
Location: Spain
Status: Offline
Points: 848
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 08:11
Originally posted by pebbles pebbles wrote:

French do have " Roman " blood and regard Italians as cousins.French are culturally and genetically Latin ( de facto Roman ).
 
As an ethnic southern Han-Chinese,I should know that a nation's identity is bonded by language & culture because Chinese are basically " Hanized " Mongoloid people with very diversed genetics.That's why we always explain to foreigners that Han is a cultural identity not a race because Han-Chinese population has many origins.
 


Roman blood in French is probably less than 5%; considering that Gaul had an estimated poluation of 9 million at the time of the Roman conquest, and Italy had 5 million; and furthermore, not all Italians at the time were "Latin"; many of them were or Etruscan, Samnite, and Greek origin.
The total number of "Latin" soldiers and colonists who settled in Gaul and "Romanized" France probably formed a very small percentage of the total population. 
Nevertheless, France is "Latin" by cultural assimilation; as much as Turkey is Turkic; and Han Chinese are "Sinized".

My point is: members of a perceived ethnic group through "assimilation" are just as valid as those who are through biological descent.
How can you divide modern Castillian Spaniards into those of Celtic, Berber, Latin, Pheonecian, and Sephardic descent? It is impossible; and it would by no means imply who is more or less "Spanish".

 

Back to Top
calvo View Drop Down
General
General


Joined: 20-May-2007
Location: Spain
Status: Offline
Points: 848
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 08:19
Originally posted by pebbles pebbles wrote:

 
Only you a Spanish national and one Chilean here,no one else who is East Asian or other European nationality.Spanish mentality & world view don't apply in N America.I always know how White-America sees Hispanic-America in a different light Wink.So,I am never shock to read some Latin-Americans upset being group in another category by White-America because they're ignorant of actual  perception of still racially-conscious White-Americans.
 


Yes, Spanish "ethnic concept" is different to that of th USA, it is also different to that of the "French" and that of "Latin America"; but I don't tend to project my views onto American society and classify the U.S. population by Spanish or European standards.

It is you that is trying to classify the world's population by U.S. standards; who do not apply in most places outside the USA.

Europeans DO NOT have the same concept of "ethnicity" as Americans. European definition of "ethnicity" is often defined by "nationality" or perceived identity. Religious and historical heritage is another important factor.
There is little collective consciousness of a "white" race as there is in America. There is no way you can convince a Rumanian, a Turk, a Spaniard, an Albanian, and a Swede that they are all the same people because they are all "white" according to U.S. classification.
There are difficulties even in convincing some Basques and Catalans that they are Spanish!

Back to Top
MythTR View Drop Down
Knight
Knight
Avatar

Joined: 17-Feb-2009
Location: Türkiye
Status: Offline
Points: 73
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MythTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 17:03
Take it easy, history won't change, the people may be relative, but AS YOU KNOW BETTER THAN ME , all are different.
 
Turks are Turks
Mongols are Mongols
British are Biritish
Spanish are Spanish
etc..
 
I won'T be in argueement, I wrote my opiniuns, my knowladges, my expriences.
 
If I was false, this will be come  to light.
 
Have a great time on allempires forums.
 
Next topic we can speak again .
 
Thank You!
We Turks are a people who throughout our history have been the very embodiment of freedom&independence
Mustafa Kemal ATATURK
Back to Top
MythTR View Drop Down
Knight
Knight
Avatar

Joined: 17-Feb-2009
Location: Türkiye
Status: Offline
Points: 73
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MythTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 17:05
Originally posted by calvo calvo wrote:

reconstructed bust of Hun with skull elongation:
 
An artists impression of Atilla
 
Calvo where did you find them ? Especially I don't like the second picture . Could you tell me where did you find ?
 
Thank You!
We Turks are a people who throughout our history have been the very embodiment of freedom&independence
Mustafa Kemal ATATURK
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.078 seconds.